This original one sheet from 1967 (the year the movie was released in the USA) arrived and I found it to be in very poor condition, could I save Clint?
There was staining and discoloration throughout the poster (from exposure to moisture). In addition the poster was quite brittle and there were also large tears and areas of separation along the fold lines.
There were tears and paper loss around the edges of the poster with several old tape repairs on the back that now bleed through to the front.
There were also extra creases throughout the poster from it being oddly folded as well as rolled.
Whew, this was going to be a big job!
After carefully removing the old tape with lighter fluid I found that the poster was now hanging by the threads(!), so now I had to be extra careful when we went to the bleach bath to take care of the foxing, this is where things got a bit hairy!
In the end I had to abort spending too much time in the bath as the poster slide into three pieces!
The next job was to linen back it to get the poster back together again as a recognizable one sheet and with that successfully completed we started on the hand restoration. First some sanding and then patching of the missing sections.
Finally some airbrushing to cover the tape stains that could not be fully removed and also to make the extremely tattered borders look more flush/even looking to finally complete the project and we are done!
And here is the completed project:
Fistful of Dollars (1967)
A full restoration including: washing, paper replacement, tape removal, air brushing and linen backing