When this beautiful one sheet poster turned up for restoration I said to the client ‘There is good news and there is bad news…”
The bad news was this there was a ton of work, there was lots (and LOTS) of tape, there was heavy writing that had bled through and of course missing paper.
The GOOD news for my client was it was one hell of a poster, I knew I could fix it and best of all – it was going to look spectacular when I finished!
As I said it was in bad shape and the reality was it was going to be a rescue mission as much as a restoration job. I was pleased that the client had decided to save this poster from its impending (and early) demise and I was very happy that the client was now putting his trust in me to be be the one to restore it.
Woah!!! The first stage was quite tricky, after giving it a de-acidifying bath then bleach bath I removed the tape. The poster then almost fell apart in the water rinse bath such was its condition. It took over an hour to unfold and remove the water – normally this takes less than 20 minutes!
As you can see the by the image (part way through the linen backing process) the poster was very wet and all the writing is showing through…of course now we have to wait several days for it to completely dry and the writing disappears.
Once dry I then began the final process of replacing the missing paper, some touch up work and some light air brushing to make the tattered borders look a more uniform and another poster is brought back to life and should last another 100 years!
And here is the completed project:
Honor of the Mounted (R37)
A full restoration including: washing, paper replacement, tape removal, air brushing and linen backing